Patient Instructions After Scaling and Root Planning
These are some helpful suggestions that will increase your comfort and help you to receive the maximum benefit from periodontal treatment.
1. Tenderness is normal. To reduce tenderness and promote healing, every two to three hours, rinse with warm salt water: ½ teaspoon salt in a 4 ounce glass of water.
2. Avoid brushing or flossing the treated area for 12 hours. However, after 12 hours it is very important that you continue to brush well. Please be careful brushing and use a toothbrush with soft bristles. You may moisten the brush with warm water if tissues are tender.
3. Tylenol or Ibuprofen may be used as recommended for discomfort.
4. Highly nutritious food is necessary for the healing process. Avoid foods that require excessive chewing, also, sticky, crunchy or coarse foods.
5. Tooth sensitivity is normal and temporary. You may use a desensitizing toothpaste such as Sensodyne or any major brand for sensitivity relief.
6. You may also gently massage the areas treated with your washed fingers. This will increase circulation and promote healing.
Lastly, please contact Dr. Magnis and Marina View Dentistry should you experience prolonged bleeding or any other problems during the healing process at (805) 616 7102
These suggestions will help you receive the greatest benefit from today’s treatment.